ARK CENTRE is a registered NGO’s in Dandora, Nairobi city, Republic of Kenya. It was founded as a Non Governmental Organization in 2011 and registered in the year 2012. The organization aims to address socio-economic challenges and HIV/AIDs related effects that face Orphans and vulnerable children, Women and youth. Challenges that make their livelihoods hard to bear. Two of the issues that ARK CENTRE together with the community identified as the major concerns are increasing rates of unemployment in the community, HIV/AIDS and Poverty. Much of ARK CENTER’s activities have been focused in the urban slums and rural areas because of the highest population owing to its low standards of living. This has also been made possible by the supportive donor community. Since inception, the organization has been involved in various activities targeting several beneficiaries. And the success stories go beyond ensuring approximately 400 children access education at primary, secondary and tertiary level, to responding to the HIV/AIDS pandemic through innovative projects and services.
The HIV/AIDS pandemic continues to rage throughout world, taking the lives of thousands of precious children, youths and women every year. ARK Centre programs focus on meeting the physical and emotional needs of orphans and other vulnerable children, youths and Women impacted by this disease and offering critical support services to communities.
• It is estimated that 17.8 million children under 18 have been orphaned by AIDS, 85% of which are living in sub-Saharan Africa(UNICEF, 2013)
• Since the HIV epidemic began in sub-Saharan Africa, 14.8 million children have lost one or both parents to HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS, 2010)
• Families and communities are crippled when grandparents or children are left to lead households after the death of one or both parents due to HIV/AIDS.
What We’re Doing
ARK Centre main programs are:-
1. Orphan & Vulnerable Children (OVC) Program
2. Youth & Women Economic Empowerment (YWEE) Program
3. Environmental & Sustainable Energy (ESE) Program
• ARK Centre team is providing training, capacity building, program development, donor and partner development, grant management and monitoring and evaluation services to desperately poor communities and more specifically to OVC, youths and women.
• Over the past 4 years, ARK Centre OVC programs have assisted more than 1000 needy children 80 youths and 50 women
• Our Youth & Women’s Economic Empowerment program has trained 50 women and 80 youths in business and vocational skills
• Has acquired land to develop Health facility for the OVC in Kisumu city Kisumu County and Dandora slums in Nairobi city Nairobi County.
• Has established and running a pre- and primary school in Dandora, Nairobi city Nairobi County
• Has established and running a ICT youth vocational centre in Huruma, Nairobi City, Nairobi County
• Has established a Tailoring vocational centre in Dandora, Nairobi City, Nairobi County.
The responsibility for corporate governance of ARK Centre rests with the Board of Directors. The operational management of the organization is delegated by the Board to the Chief Executive who is also known as the “Director” and also must be the serving secretary to the board as per the organizational constitution. A Code of Corporate Governance was approved in 2014 to help guide the Board in their role and against which the functioning of the Board will be monitored. The Directors have been selected based on their experience and qualifications in the fields of finance, governance, NGO management and strategic planning. ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬The Capacity Strengthening Framework and the Risk Analysis on annual basis and monitor the implementation of any recommendations. Two sub-committees report to the Board; the Development Advisory Committee and the Funding-generation Committee. The Committees are composed of at least one Board member, external advisors and the Chief Executive “Director”.
ARK Centre and its partners seek to maintain high levels of accountability to both beneficiaries and donors by implementing strong monitoring and evaluation systems and using this information to improve quality of program. ARK Centre will support and develop partners to enable them to meet these requirements and adhere to internationally recognized standards. ARK Centre develops an Accountability Framework which will cover the areas of; organizational governance, financial management, beneficiary accountability and participation, and program monitoring and evaluation. The frameworks are developed in accordance with internationally recognized standards and practices (eg HAP, Sphere). Partners use project cycle management to monitor their performance, this includes; project log frames to monitor of progress and achievement of outputs, along with the review of beneficiary feedback, and produce 6 monthly finance and narrative reports. Project impact is assessed by externally appointed evaluators where appropriate and the lessons learned are shared throughout the organization.
Please consider supporting our efforts and donate below to sustain our programs.